After coming home from a hard shift, all I fancied was noshing down on a great big burger, but after my dinner yesterday, I needed something vegan, stat!
So I decided to make a veggie burger, but not the rubbish veggies in a starchy sauce, breaded and deep fried kind. This needed to be good.
So for dinner, tonight I made a Garlic Portobello mushroom burger, with a homemade Rosemary BBQ sauce, balsamic dressed rocket, charred onions, pickles & tomato. Served with a vegan mustard and paprika ‘slaw, and rosemary sweet potato fries.
I started off with the mushrooms, big brown medallions of Yum. Fry off in a pan with some roasted garlic, Vitalite and Vermouth until soft. Put a lid on it and let it steam in it’s own juices. I had no lid for the frying pan, so I just used a lid from one of my Le Creusets – Heath Robinson style.
Next was to make the ‘slaw.
in a small bowl take 4 tbs of Vegan mayo, 1tbs of white wine vinegar, a squeeze of lemon juice, and 2 tsp of mustard of your choice, I used Dijon and a heaped tsp of smoked paprika (Pimentón). Mix. Now prep your veg. I used white cabbage, carrot and onion for this, but feel free to add in whatever you want, I mean apple would work nicely! Cut them up finely,I used my mandolin and set aside in a big bowl. Now, tip the mayo mix from the small bowl into the veggie bowl and stir, until all coated in the creamy, tangy goodness. Season accordingly, and top with some chopped chives.
The fries were easy, as I had made them last week, and all they needed was to defrost and go into the oven. But to summarise what I did:
- Chop a sweet potato into fries and roast in the oven with garlic, dried rosemary, fresh rosemary and some rapeseed oil.
- Cook and turn until done.
I thought it would be nice to serve in one of my Design Letters by Arne Jacobsen cups, as the typeface inspired my logo 😉
The BBQ sauce, another pre-made ingredient of mine, I had made it with a mix of :
Tomato purée, passata, ancho chili powder, muscavado sugar, liquid smoke, dried rosemary, fresh rosemary, ketchup (for sweetness), Chinese black vinegar, dark soy sauce and some pimentón. Cook all the ingredients until a sticky, spicy sauce.
Now to assemble to burger.
Cut your bun and place on your plate, I used a sourdough bun for this.
- First layer, the tomatoes. Cut some tomatoes up and lay the slices on your bun.
- Second layer, place your pickle on top the tomato
- Third layer, place the warm mushroom on the stack
- Fourth layer, drizzle some BBQ sauce on the mushroom
- Fifth layer, place a handful of balsamic dressed rocket salad on the mushroom
- Sixth layer Adorn the salad with some charred onion rings,
Now top that beast off with the rest of the bun and devour!
I served it with a gin and lemon cocktail, using some of my homemade cordial.
To make you’ll need:
- 2 shots of gin (I used Hendricks)
- 1 shot of cordial – This is a homemade lemon, lime, elderflower, cucumber and juniper berry cordial I had made a couple of weeks back (I’ll post the recipe up on the blog soon!)
- a squeeze of lemon juice.
- some ice
- slices of cucumber and lemon
- tonic water
Stir together then top it off with some tonic water, and enjoy!