As the weather has miraculously changed this week, I thought a summery dinner was needed. So, on Sunday, before I went to work I got two frozen chicken breasts out of the freezer, (NATURALLY, VEGETARIANS/VEGANS CAN SUBSTITUTE THE CHICKEN FOR TOFU) and put them on a plate to defrost. After I came home I made the all important marinade:
- 3-4tsbp dark soy sauce
- a big spoonful of honey (Vegans could substitute it for Agave, I wanted to use some local honey gifted by my plumber who also keeps bees)
- 1 tsp of light soy sauce
- a generous amount of chilli powder – Fresh chilli would be best
- a thumb size amount of ginger, grated
- 1 spring onion, chopped
- 1 tsp chinese Black vinegar
- The juice of half a lemon
- 200ml orange juice
- a splash of garlic infused oil
I marinated the now defrosted chicken for a couple of hours and then stuck it in a foiled tin and poached it on a medium heat until cooked and tender.
Leave to cool, and strain the cooking marinade. DON’T THROW AWAY, IT’S COOKING GOLD, YOU COULD USE IT AS A BROTH BASE, OR WHAT I DID AND USED IT TO MAKE THE DRESSING.
Refrigerate the chicken and leave for the following day.
Yesterday evening, I flaked the chicken into chunks. Got the bowl out for my salad, I used my huge 11″ Lotus design Deka plastic bowl- Based on the famous Cathrineholm enamel bowls by Arne Clausen.
In the mean time I cut and segmented a pink grapefruit. To the strained liquor, add in some toasted sesame seeds and a squeeze of grapefruit juice, from the offcuts from preparing it to make a nice sesame & soy dressing.
Now to assemble the salad:
- Empty a bag of baby spinach leaves and a handful of rocket, place in the bowl, pour a bit of the dressing
- Add in half a cucumber, chopped into strips and two chopped spring onions (save some for garnishing)
- Now, add in the chicken, then the grapefruit segments and mix.
- Pour a bit more dressing on, and sprinkle some toasted black sesame seeds and the remainder of the spring onions.
We served this with a nice orange, lemon and ginger cocktail- served in my stunning Kaj Franck designed Iitala Kartio carafe that Tom Brought back from his travels in America. To make, mince a bit of ginger ( thumb size I’d reckon) and steep in another 200ml of orange juice. Add 2 shots of vodka to the carafe – I used my fave, Finlandia. once steeped enough to your liking, strain and top up with lemonade.
Serve and cheers ;D