After visiting Möllan market on Monday, I came home with more than a surplus of limes for only 10kr (like 94p!) thus, limes were on the menu. I’ve made homemade lemonade in my time, why not limeade? Well, with this simple recipe, you can make a tasty, zingy drink that will refresh & tingle your tastebuds. To make, you’ll need:
- 7-8 limes, juiced
- Handful of frozen raspberries, thawed
- 200-300g raw sugar
- 1 litre of water
Start by cutting the limes in half and juice them into a mixing bowl or a jug. Once this is done, add in the raspberries that have being thawing for roughly 10-15 minutes, they should be a lot softer now and exude their crimson juice. Mash them with a fork or muddler into the lime juice until it all turns bright red. Add the sugar and stir until dissolved (the acid in the juice should do this fairly quickly). Once it’s all dissolved into the juice, add the water, stir again. Strain the mixture into a second mixing bowl/ jug, leaving the pulp and seeds behind. Finally, pour into a bottle and place into the fridge to chill for a couple of hours. When ready it will be a zingy, tangy, yet sweet and fruity for you to enjoy! Good on its own, but try it with a bit of white rum for an amazing long drink!
Here’s a recipe for some easy vegan pancakes to whizz up for Valentine’s for your sweetheart, works well for Diwrnod Santes Dwynwen (25th January) too!
For the pancakes:
- 100g self raising flour,
- 50ml non-dairy milk (I used Oatly)
- 1 mashed banana,
- 2tbs golden syrup/agave nectar
- Pinch of salt
For the strawberry & raspberry lovebomb:
- Handful of frozen raspberries
- Handful of frozen strawberries
- Splash of water
- 1tbs golden syrup/agave nectar
- Splash of gin (I used Brecon Gin by Penderyn Distillery)
- A few fresh raspberries and strawberries
For the salted caramel sauce
- 1 tbs non dairy cream (I used Oatly)
- 10ml of water
- 20g sugar
- Pinch of good quality salt (I used Halen Môn vanilla salt)
To make, start with the lovebomb, so it has plenty of time to set. Start by heating up the frozen raspberries, strawberries, water and golden syrup/agave nectar in a pan. Simmer until they start to release their juice, add the gin and stir. Remove from the heat and whizz in a food processor until it forms a coulis. Set aside and leave to cool. When it’s cool pour the contents into a heart shaped mould (I used a heart shaped cookie cutter on a plate) and put in the freezer to set.
For the salted caramel, dissolve the sugar and the water in a pan. Raise the heat until it starts to form a caramel then add the non-dairy cream and stir in a pinch of Halen Môn. Set aside and leave to cool.
Sieve the flour into a bowl and begin to pour in half of the non-dairy milk, stirring gently with a whisk the whole time. Now add the mashed bananas and bring together into a thick batter, making sure you whisk out any lumps in the flour. At this point you can judge how much more milk you need – for Scotch or American style pancakes it needs to be quite thick. Whisk in the sugar and the salt. When it’s ready, pour into a lightly oiled, hot frying pan and watch like a hawk. When the sides start to cook and the middle is bubbling flip it over with a fish slice. Adjust the temperature of the pan to suit your needs. When each side is golden brown set aside. After frying they might need 5-10 mins in the oven to make sure they are cooked through.
When you’re ready to assemble, stack the pancakes high and be as creative as you like with soy whip, caramel sauce and top it with the love bomb. I hope your other half appreciates the effort ;)!
Again, with this nice turn of weather I decided to make a forest inspired cocktail, today.
It’s a sweet drink, and deceivingly strong.
- In a jug place some fresh mint, now pour 1 shot of vodka, I used Finlandia and 1 shot of Żubrówka- Polish Bison grass vodka.
- Splash in some Malina (Polish raspberry syrup) into the jug.
- Pour in about 200ml of Apple and Raspberry juice, and top up with a mixed berry cider- I used a bottle of Rekordelig Mixed berries. Mix.
- Now, get two glasses ready- I used a couple of Mason Jars – Just because 😉 – and place a couple of mint leaves
- Top up with the mixed cocktail, and top with frozen blueberries.