Here’s a great recipe for fettisdagen (the Swedish Mardi Gras). It has all the flavours of semla buns, but none of the time-consuming process of proving and kneading. However, if you’re game for all that, then by all means this cocktail would be amazing paired with the decadent buns! You can omit the custard if you want, but it gives another dimension to the cocktail and hey, it is for Fat Tuesday, after all!
To make, you’ll need:
- 1 Whole carton of Oatly milk/ unsweetened unroasted almond milk
- 2 Scoops of Swedish Glace (Tofu Line) vanilla Ice cream
- 3 Shots of Amaretto
- 2 Shots of vanilla vodka (I used ABSOLUT, naturally)
- 1⁄2 tsp Ground cardamom
- 2tbs Oatly custard
To make, put all the ingredients in a blender and whizz up until they make a sweet, aromatic cardamom laced cocktail. Get your glasses, in my case a vintage milk bottle, and fill with the mix. Top with some soy whipped cream, but be wary that it doesn’t sink, as it doesn’t behave exactly the way dairy cream does, it’s also a bit heavier.
Garnish with cake crumbs, vegan in my case, left over from a delicious Naturally Kind Food slice and you’re done!
Happy Easter guys!
Thanks for reading my blog posts! I hope you all nosh until you’re sick of chocolate and enjoy the merriment with friends and family!
I decided the photo i should use this year is my Iittala Aalto vase (Savoy vase) filled with tulips in seasonal hues on my Saarinen Tulip table (tulip inception 😉 )
This morning, I found out Tom’s parents were coming over to help with the floor in the living space (building site), so I got out the teapot, percolator and the necessary cake for a little Fika.
So, out came the Marimekko teapot, Mid century Iittala Solaris crystal plates by Tapio Wirkkala, Alessi forks and my vintage Hornsea creamer.
We had some Valencian orange and almond cake, leftover from my Spanish dinner party, yesterday,
– homemade Spanish Amarguillos served in my Georg Jensen leaf dish
– representing Italy were Amaretti di Saronno in a vintage Deka ‘Cathrineholm style’ lotus bowl
– representing Denmark were some Romkugler in an Iittala Aalto dish
– representing good ‘ol Blighty were some custard creams in a Marimekko/Iittala Maribowl.
Even though it was last minute, thankfully they enjoyed. Tom’s mam even praised the Little My Moomin Arabia Finland mug 😉 – these days she even can recognise Marimekko 🙂